This one pot rice dish is flavourful, aromatic & packed with vegetables.
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 2 big Onion
- 1 big Tomato
- 2 Green chillies (+ or - depending on your taste)
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 cup Cut Vegetables
- Handful Pudina/Mint leaves
- Handful Coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp Curd
- 1 Bay leaf
- 6 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Green cardamom
- 1 Black cardamom
- 1 Star Anise
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Shahi Biryani masala powder
- 3 tsp Oil & for deep frying the onions
- Water approx. 1.5 cup or as required
- Salt to taste
- Wash & soak basmati rice in 1.5 cup of water for 30 minutes.
- Slice 1 onion into thin slices lengthwise. Sprinkle salt & mix them well, set aside for few minutes. Heat oil in a deep dish & deep fry until they are crisp in medium heat.
- Cut one more onions into thin slices, set aside. This is for biryani preparation.
- Roughly chop coriander & pudina/mint leaves. Slit green chillies. Cut tomato into small pieces.
- Heat 3 tsp oil in kadai or pressure cooker, add whole spices (Bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, green & black cardamom, star anise. Sauté for few seconds.
- Add onion & green chillies. Sauté until onion is light brown & then goes the Ginger garlic paste. Sauté until intense smell of ginger garlic paste is gone.
- Add the tomato & cut vegetables. Continue sautéing for 3-4 minutes.
- Add spice powders (turmeric, red chilli & shahi biryani masala powder), coriander leaves & pudina leaves, sauté for 2 minutes.
- Now add curd & cook for one more minute.
- Add water (approx. 1.5 cup) which was used to soak basmati rice, wait until it comes to boil and add salt as required.
- Rice needs to be added now and close the kadai with lid, let it cook in low flame for 15 min. (if you are using the pressure cooker, close the lid & don’t put the whistle, let it cook in low flame for 15 min)
- After 15 min let it cool for 5-10 min, then add deep fried crisp onion & mix gently.
- Serve with Onion Tomato Raita.