Vangi Bath | Brinjal/Eggplant Rice
Vangi bath is a popular rice based delicacy from Karnataka cuisine. If you have ready Vangi bath powder & cooked rice, then it is just matter of few minutes to prepare this flavourful rice.
- 1 cup Raw Rice
- 7-8 Mysore Badanekayi/Long green Brinjal
- ½ cup Green peas (optional)
- 1 Onion
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Channa dal
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- few Curry leaves
- 4 Dry red chillies (low spiced)
- Tamarind small gooseberry size
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 3 tsp Vangi bath powder (I use Maiyas brand ready powder)
- ½ cup Grated dry coconut
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- 3-4 tsp Oil
- Handful Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Wash the rice thoroughly, cook & set aside.
- Cut brinjals to thin slices and put them in a bowl of water to prevent discoloration.
- Soak tamarind in hot water & extract thick juice & discard the pulp.
- Slice onion into thin slices lengthwise.
- Heat oil in kadai, add mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add channa dal & urad dal. Fry until dal turns brown.
- Add curry leaves & red chillies, sauté for few seconds.
- Now add onions & fry until its translucent.
- Add Brinjal pieces, green peas, turmeric powder to kadai & mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add tamarind extract, salt & jaggery to Brinjal mixture.
- Mix well. Cover & cook for 5-7 minutes in low flame.
- After 5-7 minute, add Vangi bath powder, saute for 2 more minutes.
- Switch off the flame. Add grated dry coconut, coriander leaves & cooked rice. Mix it gently.
- Serve with coconut chutney.