Southekai Saaru | Salad Cucumber Sambar
A dish prepared using southekai or salad cucumber. I learnt this dish from my mother. An easy, quick & tasty dish which can be prepared in no time using very few ingredients. This is a perfect side dish for Ragi Mudde or Rice.
- Cut salad cucumber/southekai into small pieces. Set aside.
- Sauté onion, green chili & garlic in ½ tsp of oil till its golden brown.
- Once the sauteed mixture comes down to room temperature grind this along with roasted channa dal, coconut, poppy seeds, coriander leaves & tamarind to smooth paste.
- Transfer grind paste to kadai along with cucumber pieces.
- Add salt & water, make sure sambar is in thick consistency. (Note: cucumber will release water once salt is added, so do not add too much of water)
- Prepare tempering using oil, mustard & curry leave. Add this to sambar once it comes down to room temperature.
- Mix well & serve with Ragi mudde or Rice.