Shavige Uppittu | Vermicelli Upma | Semiya Upma
Uppittu or Upma is very common dish prepared in most south Indian households for breakfast. Typically Upma is prepared using Rava/Semolina, but it can also be prepared using Vermicelli, Oats, Broken wheat or Millets.
- 1 cup Vermicelli (I used Maiyas brand thick unroasted vermicelli)
- ½ cup Mixed vegetables (beans, carrot & green peas)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Channa dal
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 Onion
- Few Curry leaves
- 4 Green chillies
- ¼ cup Grated coconut
- Handful Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 3 tsp Oil/Ghee
- Salt to taste
- Water approx. 2 cup or as required
Roasting the vermicelli
- Heat oil/ghee in pan, add vermicelli & roast it until its golden brown.
- I roast vermicelli in Microwave. Take a microwave safe bowl. Add vermicelli & ghee/oil, mix well.
- Microwave it for 3 minutes. Every 30 seconds pause the microwave, stir the vermicelli and roast further. By end of 3 minutes it will be perfectly roasted to golden brown.
- Cut onion into thin slices lengthwise. Finely chop or slit green chillies.
- Cut beans & carrot.
- I microwave vegetables with water for 8 minutes. Also don’t discard the water which is used to cook the vegetable. We can use it in Upma preparation.
- Heat oil in pan and put mustard seeds, let it crackle.
- Then add sliced onion, green chilli & curry leaves. Sauté till onions are translucent.
- Add cooked vegetables to pan along with water (approx. 2 cups) & salt to taste.
- If vegetables are not pre-cooked you can add them to pan at this stage. Sauté for 2 minutes along with onion mixture. Then add water & salt. Cook until vegetables are completely done
- When water starts boiling, add the roasted vermicelli. Mix well.
- After a minutes close the lid & cook in low flame until vermicelli is completely cooked (approx. 5 minutes). Turn off the heat.
- Lastly add grated coconut & finely chopped coriander leaves. Gently mix & Serve.