Idli is a traditional breakfast made in every south Indian household. Idli can be made in two ways, one is using idli rice and the other is using idli rava. Here I am sharing the recipe using Idli rice.
- Wash and soak rice and urad dal + methi seeds separately for 5-6 hours.
- Grind Urad dal & methi seeds till you get a smooth & fluffy batter. (approx. about 35-45 minutes in wet grinder)
- Remove Urad dal batter to a bowl and keep aside.
- Grind rice to smooth batter.
- Mix Urad dal & rice batters together in a large bowl.
- Cover & let the batter ferment for 8-9 hours.
- After fermentation, add salt & mix well.
- On medium flame, bring enough water to boil in an idli steamer.
- Grease the idli moulds with oil/ghee.
- Pour the batter in the moulds and place them in steamer once water starts boiling.
- Cook in medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until idlis are done.
- Remove the idlis from mould using spoon.
- Serve the steaming hot idlis with a spoon of ghee and chutney/sambar.