Khara Pongal | Ven Pongal
Jeera/Cumin rice is prepared with some whole spices and cumin seeds flavour, can be prepared very instantly and easily.
- Wash rice & dal, drain & set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp. ghee in pressure cooker, add rice & dal. Fry for 3 minutes.
- Add water (I used 3 cups of water) & pressure cooked for 3 whistle.
- Once pressure subsides, open the cooker, add salt & mix well.
- Heat a tbsp. of ghee in tadka pan, fry broken cashews & set aside.
- In same pan, add last tbsp. of ghee. Add finely chopped ginger, sauté for 2-3 seconds then add pepper, jeera (I usually pound pepper & jeera slightly for more flavour), curry leaves.
- Pour the tadka over rice & dal mix.
- Add fried cashews & give a final mix.
- Serve hot with sambar or coconut chutney.