Idiyappam | Rice String Hoppers
Iddiyappam aka “Noolappam / Shvige / String Hoppers” is a common breakfast food item in Kerala.
- Boil the water in a wide cooking pan, add the salt & a tsp oil to the water.
- When the water comes to a boil, add rice flour stirring continuously. Remove from the stove and let it cool down slightly.
- Mix and knead well until the dough becomes soft.
- If the dough is not soft, add little more warm water and combine well.
- Heat water in steamer & let it boil. Keep it in low to medium flame.
- Grease oil to the idli moulds and sprinkle a thin layer of grated coconut over it.
- Press the prepared dough slowly through an idiyappam maker directly on the idli moulds.
- Now place the idli moulds in steamer & steam for 9-10 minutes on medium heat. After 10 minutes let it cool for 2 more min in steamer.
- Then remove the moulds from steamer & serve it with your favourite curry. I usually serve with Vegetable stew.