Dum Aloo | Baby Potato Gravy
Baby potatoes cooked in yogurt & onion tomato gravy, served with roti, chapati or rice. Potatoes are shallow fried in my recipe but if you prefer you can deep fry them. This recipe is roughly adapted from Kabita’s kitchen YouTube channel.
- 20-25 Baby Potatoes
- 3 Onion
- 2 Tomato
- 10 Garlic cloves
- 2 inch Ginger
- 8 Whole cashews
- 4 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Jeera/Cumin
- ½ cup Curd
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1½ tsp Red chilli powder
- ½ tsp Cumin powder
- ½ tsp Coriander powder
- ¾ tsp Garam masala powder
- ¾ tsp Kasuri methi
- 4 tsp Oil
- Chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Wash, boil & peel the skin of baby potatoes.
- Prick the boiled potatoes with fork, add ¼ red chilli powder, pinch of turmeric powder & little salt. Toss them well & shallow fry them on medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Roughly chop onion into pieces
- Deseed & grind tomatoes into paste.
- Heat a tbsp oil in pan, add cloves, cinnamon & cashew nut. Sauté until cashews are golden brown. Add ginger & garlic, continue sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped onion & sauté until translucent. Let this mixture comes down to room temperature & then grind to smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add add jeera/cumin, let it splutter. Then add grind onion paste & sauté for 2 minutes.
- Then add spice powders (turmeric, red chilli, cumin & coriander powder) & tomato paste. Mix well & continue to sauté in low flame until it start releasing the oil.
- Add curd (make sure flame is low) & salt, stir it continuously. Sauté masala for 2-3 minutes in low flame.
- Add shallow fried baby potatoes, garam masala & kasuri methi into the gravy, mix it. Cover & cook for few more minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves & serve with roti, chapati or rice.