Badanekayi Ennegayi | Stuffed Eggplant
Badanekayi Ennegayi (Stuffed Eggplant) is the most popular and a signature dish of North Karnataka.
- Dry roast the coriander seeds, cumin, red chilies, cloves, cinnamon, sesame seeds and peanuts.
- Grind the roasted spices with coconut, onion, tamarind, jaggery and salt. Add just enough water to make it a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Cut the Eggplants in "X" shape without taking off the stalk.
- Stuff the eggplants with the ground masala and keep aside. Save the remaining masala paste for making the gravy.
- Heat oil in a pan. Temper with mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves.
- Add finely chopped half onions and sauté for a minute.
- Slowly drop the stuffed eggplants into the pan. Cook covered on medium heat for 4 minutes (Flip the eggplants, so that they are cooked on all sides)
- Pour the remaining masala paste & required water to pan.
- Sauté regularly. Cook covered until the eggplants are cooked & the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
- Sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves. Serve it with Rice/Jowar rotti or chapathi’s.