Avarekalu Huli | Hyacinth beans sambar
Avarekalu huli/saaru is one of the most famous recipe from Karnataka. Each household has their own version of Avarekalu huli. Avarekalu can be used either whole or peeled, I’ve already shared the Hitikida avarekalu saaru recipe which is prepared using peeled beans. Today am sharing a recipe of Huli/Sambar which is prepared using the whole beans, called Avarekalu Huli.
- Cut Potatoes & Brinjal into cubes.
- Pressure cook Avarekalu along with cubed potato, brinjal & tomato (listed under masala paste - Do not cut tomato, cook whole tomato) into to 2 whistle.
- Roast Onion directly on the cook top until it is nicely charred in medium heat. Set aside until it comes down to room temperature. Now peel a layer of skin which is charred & then roughly chop.
- In Grinding jar, add chopped onion from above step, sambar powder, coriander leaves, poppy seeds, tamarind, grated coconut & tomato which we pressure cooked. Also add a tbsp of cooked avarekalu to grinding jar, this helps to thicken the Sambar.
- Grind everything to a smooth paste.
- Transfer cooked Avarekalu, potato & brinjal from pressure cooker to kadai. (we have used tomato to prepare masala paste)
- Add, grind masala paste, salt, jaggary & required water to bring it to desired consistency.
- Bring it to boil & cook for 10-12 minutes in a medium flame.
- Lastly heat oil/ghee in tadka pan, when it is hot add mustard seeds & let it splutter. Add hing & curry leaves. Pour this over prepared sambar.
- Serve hot with steamed rice, ragi mudde or dose.
You can find the "Sambar Powder" recipe in website.