Appam is Kerala’s most admired food. This is most popular Kerala breakfast served along with vegetable stew. Appam has a crispy sides with an airy, fluffy centre.
- Rinse both varieties of rice & urad dal for a couple of times.
- Soak, both rice & urad dal for 4-5 hours.
- Drain water from the rice & urad dal. Grind soaked rice & urad dal along with grated coconut until smooth batter.
- Remove batter into a large container, cover and keep it in a warm place to ferment for about 8 hrs or overnight.
- Next morning add sugar, salt & baking soda to batter. Mix well.
- Heat the appam pan in medium flame, drizzle few drops of oil & spread it over evenly.
- Pour a ladleful of batter and swirl the pan. It should be slightly thick in the centre, thin & lacy over sides.
- Cover & cook until sides are slightly brown. Remove it with the help of spatula.
- Prepare appams with the rest of the batter.
- Serve the appams with vegetable stew or sweetened coconut milk.