Aloo Pulao | Potato Rice
This Pulao is made using basmati rice, Indian spices & potatoes. One of my favourite rice recipe & I regularly prepared this at home.
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 2 big Potatoes
- 2 big Onion
- 1 big Tomato
- 3 Green chillies (+ or - depending on your taste)
- 1 ½ tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- ¼ cup Green peas
- Handful Pudina/Mint leaves
- Handful Coriander leaves
- ½ cup Coconut Milk
- 2 tsp Curd
- 1 Bay leaf
- 6 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Green cardamom
- 1 Black cardamom
- 1 Star Anise
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- ¾ tsp Garam masala powder
- 3 tsp Oil & for deep frying the onions & potatoes
- Water approx. 1 cup or as required
- Salt to taste
- Wash & soak basmati rice in 1 cup of water for 30 minutes.
- Slice 1 onion into thin slices lengthwise. Sprinkle salt & mix them well, keep aside for few minutes. Heat oil in a deep dish & fry until they are crisp in medium heat.
- Wash, peel the skin & cut potatoes into small cubes. Put cut potatoes in enough water to cover them. This keeps potatoes from turning dark. Deep fry potato cubes until they are light brown. Set aside.
- Cut one more onions into thin slices, set aside. This is for pulao preparation.
- Roughly chop coriander & pudina/mint leaves. Slit green chillies.
- Heat 3 tbsp. oil in kadai or pressure cooker, add whole spices (Bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, green & black cardamom, star anise. Sauté for few seconds.
- Add onion & green chillies. Sauté until onion is light brown & then goes the Ginger garlic paste. Sauté until intense smell of ginger garlic paste is gone.
- Add tomato & fresh peas. Cook until tomatoes are soft.
- Add spice powders (turmeric, chilli & garam masala powder), fried potato cubes, coriander leaves & pudina leaves, sauté for 2 minutes.
- Now add coconut milk & curd. Cook for one more minute.
- Add water (approx. 1 cup) which was used to soak basmati rice, wait until it comes to boil and add salt as required.
- Rice needs to be added now and close the kadai with lid, let it cook in low flame for 15 min. (if you are using the pressure cooker, close the lid & don’t put the whistle, let it cook in low flame for 15 min)
- After 15 min let it cool for 5-10 min, then add deep fried crisp onion & mix gently.
- Serve with Onion Tomato Raita.